Sunday, June 9, 2013

06 09 2012 News surfing

I get up quite early most mornings, and today was nothing different. I got onto the computer and headed to my two favorite news sites.

Side-note*: I have always been really interested in the news even as a young child. Alright I'll admit I was interested in many things my peers weren't interested in. But in particular I loved watching the morning and evening news on my little 13in. black & white, bunny ear, t.v. I guess I just understood that what happens in one part of the country or world can effect everyone.

Back to my point, I was surfing through articles on Foxnews.com and came across this one by happenstance.

Here is the link to the original article posted in the LA Times.

This article produces two arguments that I would like to make, but probably won't get the time to do so in my final-school related blog/paper post. The first is that government agencies that are capable of helping all children like we, as a society, think they can. Many times children fall through the cracks whether its to to the work load of social workers or just general negligence on the follow-up.

My second point is that it seems that children are much more likely to be abused when they have a step-parent or their parent has a live-in boyfriend/girlfriend. My abuser was a step-parent. I had a friend who's step-parent was abusive. There was a very prominent case ongoing here in the Intermountain West, where I live, where the step-parent was involved in the murder of a child.That isn't to say that abuse doesn't happen with genetic parents, but to me, it seems that the prevalence of child abuse is higher with step-parents or the boy/girlfriend of the parent.



Just something I am working through in my head. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment