Saturday, June 22, 2013

Reflection Essay




Reflection Time
                My observations from my writing journals and my blog posts showed that I had two different ideas of writing. My writing journals show that I took time to ponder and think about what I wanted to say and how effectual my feelings were when put into words. I feel that when I wrote about each journal prompt topic I was able to find something personal and heartfelt to write about. When it came to my blog posts, however, the writing was less than stellar when it came to my chosen topic of child abuse. When I came across items that had to do with child abuse that I thought were interesting or effective in reaching my audience, I didn’t really take the time to search out my deeper feelings on the topic, leaving my audience with a more superficial reading for each post. I guess I felt like the heart of the each post was more about the picture, video or article then about what I had to say about it. I know now that I could have done better, and taken the time to explore my feelings on a deeper level. Things are always more clear in hindsight.
                The experience of revising and work-shopping my papers were sometimes difficult to do, due to the fact that it requires accepting criticism with the way that I write. I know that it’s supposed to be productive, but at times, especially when words you want to express don’t flow in an adequate manner onto paper, it’s hard to stomach the critique. You’ve put all you have into it and you felt like it resonates and has feeling, then someone reads it and tells you it’s boring. Ouch! It definitely stings and I find that I am frustrated, like all of my time putting together a paper was wasted. I might as well have written nothing for all the good it did me. But then I realize I just need to understand that the workshops and revising are there to help me learn a better way of writing. That the criticism is not meant to tear me down, it has nothing to do with me personally. The criticism is there so show me how I can improve, do better, and show that I can write well thought out papers.
                Who am I? I think this is something everyone struggles to understand about themselves. How in the world could you put it into words a description of yourself? I could tell you a whole slew of things about me: that I love to sing; I don’t have a favorite color though I love rainbows; I’m impetuous yet compassionate; I love to star watch; I believe there aren’t enough years in my life to do all of the things I want to see and experience; and that I believe you can live a thousand lifetimes inside of a book. All of these things, and million more details make up me. It’s a good starting place, but I don’t think I can ever tell anyone who I really am. Cause I don’t really know. Every moment I am changing. I think this goes for all of people; We are beings who are in a constant state of change, being reborn though life experiences and ideas. We are like the mythical Phoenix, born and reborn for the ashes of ourselves. That is who I am. 



No comments:

Post a Comment